Eternal Sunshine of Jimmy's Mind

Friday, May 02, 2008

5 Key Things You Need to Know About Jimmy Since August Last Year

Thank to those people who suggested that this blog come back, and thanks to those who supported it coming back when hearing it would!


So what do you say, when you have said nothing for 8 months?


Let me give you an update on life since I last posted.


5 Key Things You Need to Know About Jimmy Since August Last Year


1) I have travelled and I have seen the world.
Ok, both those things are massive exagerations. 6 weeks in Europe is hardly travelling, and hardly seeing the world. That said though, it was an adventure and a great one at that. I now know a few things I didn't before.
a) I don’t like flying long distances
b) Driving on the 'other' side of the road is hard
c) Speaking in tongues is not my gift (by tongues I mean foreign languages!)
d) the earth operates the same on the other side of the world, but the people do not
e) Italy, more specifically, The Amalfi Coast, is beautiful



2) I am Now a Home Owner
Ok, again a slight exageration. The wife and I have a mortage. We are in the process of owning a home. We are in Mount Colah. Bible study at our home is now known as 'Sermon on the Mount Colah'. Gardening is fun once, and painful then after.



3) I am still a Bible Study Leader
No exageration here. This is my 7th year straight of leading a bible study, 3 for TC, and now 4 for 645. I love it. It brings me joy. It is a highlight of my week.
I love that people I have led over the past two years, I know call genuine friends. Brothers in Christ who chew the fat and discuss the big issues of life.
I do feel old at 645 these days, but having made new close friendships with those younger than I, church life is good.
I could go on and on here. I am also excited to see "Kids" I led at TC now up at 645. again, a real source of joy



4) Hollywood is Letting me Down
I have not seen a great film out of Hollywood in some time now. The best movies I saw last year were "Pan's Labrynth" and "The Lives of Others". Niether are Hollywood films. I have not seen anything this year that is amazing and the future isn't looking good. Although, I am very excited about "Indiana Jones and the Kingdwom of the Crystal Skull", as well as "The Dark Knight". On that, I was saddened by the death of Heath Ledger. "Candy" is my favourite Australian film, largley due to Heath, and especially his acting in the last scene in the restaurant for those who know it. I am hopefuly his last role as "The Joker" will be a memorable one



5) I Now Know about Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
My dad was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It is a cancer, but it is very treatable. It is sad and hard seeing someone you love receive the news they have cancer. And it is sad and hard seeing someone go through Chemo-Therapy as well. I am hopeful that some good will come out of this and he will be healed in more ways than one.

I am planning on being a realist here. The blog is back. But will most likley consist of a weekly update. Facebook is great, but it does not allow one to express his/her thoughts like a blog does.


Jim


P.s I just noted that this was my 100th post. Interesting fact I thought.

4 Comments:

  • welcome back brother Jim

    Good to have you in the blog world again. I just posted today as well, after a few weeks off.

    That house of yours looks great! very nice.

    will keep checking over the weeks to come.

    oh - I saw Lars and the Real Girl last week. Good not great. It is beautifully quirky and original. Perhaps it could have gone further than it did. Worth a watch. I'll be seeing it on dvd, so that's no disaster.
    Oh Ryan Gosling - Fantastic.

    By Blogger Craig Tubman, at 1:33 PM  

  • Hey welcome back Jim!

    Dude I love the house! Very nice indeed!

    Oh thats a film I saw and loved last year but had forgotten about when were chatting the other night- "lives of others" - great film!!
    Hey I saw "Once" finally - really loved it! Its great if you love music basically. But also a great story about friendship and embracing life NOW and ENTIRELY!
    Keen to see it again actually...

    Sorry to hear about your Dad. I had a friend go through Lymphoma, so trust me i know what you're going through. I;ll keep him and your family in my prayers Jim.

    By Blogger Chelsea Taylor, at 2:03 PM  

  • THis is my 19th year leading Bible Study. Don't get soft on us, JC!

    Looking forward to updates.

    By Blogger Justin, at 1:05 AM  

  • I love that you feel old at 645 now.

    I don't.

    By Blogger Lachlan Payne, at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home