Eternal Sunshine of Jimmy's Mind

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Moral Inventory

Is it wrong to have favourite sermons?

I hope not, as I have one, and its on my iPod, and I listen to it often.

J-man, gave a talk on 1John1:5-2:5, titled "Take a Moral Inventory". It was Justin's 2nd last talk at Christchuch St Ives.

It's filled with many pearls of wisdom:

  1. Christianity is one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.
  2. Take a moral inventory where we don't compare ourselves against other people, but against our Lord Jesus Christ.
  3. Start with God, end with resolve.
  4. God is faithful and just and will purify us from unrighteousness.

and many Moffattisms:

  1. A Bonhoeffer quote.
  2. A nice joke: "Church is not full of Hypocrites......there is plenty of room up the front and down the sides"
  3. "Take sin and leave it in the tomb"

The talk can be downloaded here and is well worth a listen.

Miss your sermons J-man!

Does anyone have any favourite sermons?

Jim

4 Comments:

  • The sermon on the Mount???

    :)

    Jimmy, I can't remember making those points, but they sound OK to me! Just one thing though: "THe church is not full of Hypocrits..." I got from Phillip Jensen in 1988. I'd be guessing, but not surprised if PJ got it from someone else too!

    By Blogger Justin, at 8:02 PM  

  • I think I have a few fav sermons...but none specifically to share now, sorry...

    I do remember that sermon by Jman though! It also has stayed with me!
    Thanks jman! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger timbo, at 7:13 PM  

  • 2 weeks ago I heard 2 of the best sermons from Frank Retief at Mens Convention, I have a top 5 and they are now both in it.

    so having fav sermons is fine by me!

    But i don't think downloading sermons off the net, is a valid "get out" clause for not coming to church!

    p.s Justin, i have included your Isiah "the purple passages" in my top 5. But as a whole series! [is that allowed? i don't care!]

    timbo

    By Blogger timbo, at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home