Eternal Sunshine of Jimmy's Mind

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Bright Night with the Dark Knight

The 'Dark Knight' is amazing. It is awesome. It is well worth seeing.

I loved it. Allot.


Its not perfect though, and has some minor flaws, keeping it from being perfect.


Where to start....?


There is high praise out there for Heath Ledger as The Joker. And well deserved, and I will get to that later. But this film works because of Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent. He is wonderful in this film. He has arguably the most screen time, and his story line is really what the film is about.


Harvey Dent is everything Batman can not be. He is the great white hope, or the White Knight, for Gotham city.


Batman knows this. Commissioner Gordon knows this. The way that this triangle plays out is just superb.


Where the film leaves us, makes me want to see the next one right now. I have questions that need to be answered.

Heath Ledger. The Joker. I love this character for a start. Early this year, there was high praise for the character, Antonn Chigurh from 'No Country for Old Men', played by Jarvier Bardem. The love for the character came for the fact that he was a ruthless killer and would stop at nothing and seemed to have no rhyme of reason behind his killings.

I personally was bored. No motive for me wasn't scary. The calmness in his killings to me, wasn't chilling.

What Heath Ledger does with The Joker, is create an irrational, scary, sadistic, out of control, cruel, creepy villain. One who will forever be cast in our memories as one of the all time great villains.

It is worthy of an Oscar nomination, but maybe not a win. I cant say that will be the best supporting role I see all year. But I can say its one of the best villains ever portrayed.

The action is slick. The direction, spot on. The shots, and cinematography was mesmerizing, as is the amazing score put together by two of the finest composers around; Zimmer and Newton Howard.

I love seeing Bruce Wayne's character make decisions and choices that affect Batman. Playing up the playboy millionaire aspect is gold as well.

This is how Batman should be. Makes you wonder how Joel Schumacher got it so wrong with the emphasised nipples, and lines such as 'We are on the main hub and its about to blow!" in 'Batman and Robin'.

4.5/5

Jim

P.s For the record, 'The Dark Knight' is currently rated at #1 on IMDB top 250 films of all time as voted by user's. And Rotten Tomatoes has it at 94%. It also broke the record for opening weekend, smashing $155.3M at the US Box Office.

3 Comments:

  • It sure is a quality movie.

    I was thinking afterwards... was this exact story already written in a comic? Or have they simply just lifted out the characters and created their own story.

    Also... do you reckon robin will get in the storyline soon? I can't see how they will make him as cool as batman!

    By Blogger Fox, at 5:08 PM  

  • Its just an interpretation. The 'Nolans' are self confessed comic book haters. So its quite strange to have them writting and directing it. Obviously they have advisors though to keep it at least real to the comics.

    Christopher Nolan has come out and said there will never be a 'Robin' in any Batman film he makes. So I think that makes it pretty clear!

    By Blogger Jim, at 11:25 PM  

  • I think it does share some similarities with the 'Dark Knight' comic book although it doesn't follow the story line exactly of the comic book. The bat mobile is similar to the tank that is in the comic. Batam and the Joker are far more gritty in the comic book, I think that's why I like the Joker in Dark Knight...heath did a good job, he nailed a maniac for my liking.

    Nice review Jimmy

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home