Eternal Sunshine of Jimmy's Mind

Monday, August 18, 2008

4 Teeth, 4 Films and an Update

4 Teeth

I recently had my 4 wisdom teeth out. I got to say, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wasn't great either, but sitting on the couch for a few days wasn't all that bad.

4 Films (4 quick reviews)

Wanted
This really wasn't great. I think this film was trying to tap into the same ideas that Fight Club taps into. Aimed at young men who are not getting any fulfillment out of life. Stuck in an office with no meaning to their pointless life. But where Fight Club succeeds in making us think about our lives, Wanted, does not. And is really quite shallow. I'm OK if I a film is utterly implausible, as long as its consistent, or sets up rules that allows it do be so. This film does not. Some nice scenes, good action, but not much more.
2/5

Into the Wild.
OK, I get it. I get the film. And I get the point. But i didn't really like it. And I am sure there are many people out there who love this film and the ideas behind it. But seriously, it was unnecessarily long. 2.5 hours, could easily have been reduced to 90mins. I was fairly bored. I guess I just didn't really go on the journey with him. For me taking ourselves away from problems, or going on a self discovery journey is never the answer. I'm more about dealing with things head on.
2/5

The Strangers
Went with a couple of the boys with the sole intention of being scared. We succeeded. This film is scary. In fact its terrifying. But, and its a big but, its a pretty terrible film. There is next to no story, a vague attempt at character development, and really nothing to enjoy here. It's a strange feeling, as normally to be scared the film needs to be good. But I learnt that is not true.
2.5/5

Pineapple Express
Did my first ever movie double, back to back on Friday night. After having seen we were in need of something light hearted. Although there were a few good scenes and a few good laughs, there was not much here. Knocked Up was a great enjoyable film, which was funny, charming and enjoyable. This is really just a silly affair. Seth Rogen is always enjoyable to watch on screen and James Franco nails his role. But the rest are very under developed, and there is little charm or depth here. I would suggest hanging out for Tropic Thunder, as word is your stomach will hurt from laughter.
2.5/5

Update

Hopefully in the coming weeks/months, you will be able to enjoy these reviews by listening to them on Community Radio, 100.1 FM. More details to come.

Jim

2 Comments:

  • Would that be Triple H - Hornsby local radio? As a Hornsby local I am excited to hear this!

    Anna G

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:44 PM  

  • Thats the one! Wow, I really wasn't expecting anyone to know it. Ha!

    By Blogger Jim, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home